The Columbus Jewish Historical Society (CJHS) maintains, preserves, and organizes a growing collection of materials related to the Jewish communities of Columbus and the surrounding area. Covering more than 175 years of permanent Jewish settlement in the region, the diverse collection includes historical photos, important documents, plaques, artifacts, clothing, memorabilia, Judaic items, art, and oral history recordings and transcripts.
In addition, the CJHS archive holds the collection of more than 500,000 photo negatives by local Jewish photographer Herbert Topy, who photographed many Jewish events from the late 1940’s into the 1970’s.
The CJHS archives are actively managed on a daily basis by an experienced and dedicated staff. The CJHS archive staff processes and catalogues recently received materials, digitizes documents and photos, photographs items, organizes materials for exhibits, manages our website, and provides information to the public. Volunteer activities and internships are available.
The CJHS archives are conveniently located in the Esther C. Melton Building at 1175 College Ave, Columbus, OH, 43209 and are available to the public by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, please call 614.238.6977or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.